Orthodontics focuses and specializes in the treatment and prevention of dental and facial irregularities. Special professional skills are acquired by the orthodontist in order to provide clients with the right services that help bring teeth and jaws into proper alignment, ultimately creating facial balance. This guide will lead you on a path of discovery as you learn more about how to select a licensed orthodontist, when to visit an orthodontist, benefits, cost, financing, orthodontics for children, teens and adults, new orthodontic procedures, oral care and most important, results.
- When to Visit an Orthodontist – Your primary dentist may recommend that you visit an orthodontist or you may simply desire to have straighter teeth to improve your smile which also requires a visit to the orthodontist. Signs that you may need to see an orthodontist include spaces between teeth, crowded teeth, biting the cheek frequently when chewing, clicking or popping sounds in the jaw, teeth that meet abnormally, and jaws and teeth that are out of proportion.
- Select an Orthodontist – When selecting an orthodontist you are looking for a well educated, experienced and licensed professional that makes you feel comfortable and provides the proper services required to achieve the results you are seeking. Ask your friends and family if they can recommend an orthodontist in your area. Location is key and you will want to choose an orthodontist close to your home or office, because you will most-likely be visiting the office every six weeks. Make sure the orthodontist of your choice is board certified and licensed in the State of New York. Avoid orthodontists that lack credentials, make you feel uncomfortable, seem like they are in a rush to get to the next patient, and have a dirty office or rude staff.
- Benefits – Straightening teeth has a variety of benefits including the ability to floss and brush properly, less risk of tooth loss and decay, increasing gum health, attractive smile, improved chewing ability and reduced stress on the teeth, jaw joints, gum tissue, chewing muscles and the supporting bone.
- Cost – The cost of orthodontic services depends on a variety of factors and can range from location to location. A reputable orthodontist office will provide excellent, high quality services for a realistic price. Beware of orthodontist offices that offer lower costs compared to others in the area. They may be providing lower quality services and cutting back costs in other areas, ultimately not providing you with the product and service you deserve and desire.
- Financing – Most orthodontist offices understand the importance of providing finance options for their patients. First inquire with your dental insurance company to see how much of the cost they are capable of covering. Then, inquire with your chosen orthodontist about their finance options and set up a monthly installment plan. You can also find special discounted rates from reputable orthodontist offices by visiting discount websites such as Groupon.
- Pediatric Orthodontics – An orthodontic evaluation is recommended by the American Association of Orthodontists, for children who are age seven and above. Children who experience symptoms such as teeth crowding, early loss of baby teeth, overbite, difficulty chewing, biting of the roof of the mouth or cheek, jaws that shift or make sounds, or teeth and jaws that are not proportionate to the rest of the face should see an orthodontist immediately. Pediatric orthodontics will provide solutions for preventing further damage or misalignment.
- Teen Orthodontics – Today’s social pressures may cause teens to seek treatment to correct an under-bite, overbite, crowded teeth, blocked out teeth, and spaces between teeth and jaw that experience clicking sounds. Orthodontists can educate you on the options available to help you correct these issues and create a healthy, beautiful smile. Teen Invisalign will not interfere with their daily routines and activities. Teens can continue to participate in sports and other programs without feeling subconscious or worried about injury or damage. Clear aligners will resolve any reservations holding you back from perfecting your smile!
- Adult Orthodontics – According to the American Association of Orthodontists, one in five orthodontic patients are over the age of 21. Adults are interested in finding solutions to their orthodontic issues and are happy to know that there are a variety of options to achieve a straighter, healthier smile. Types of braces offered to adults include the traditional metal braces, clear braces, ceramic braces, accelerated braces, invisible braces, Invisalign, and behind the tooth braces that are also known as lingual braces. Adults can opt for the solutions that best serves their results and fits into their lifestyle. Live life the way you want and continue the upkeep for amazing oral health and hygiene.
- New Procedures – Invisalign is one of the newest orthodontic procedures that has continued to gain popularity over the years. It is an affordable and convenient way to straighten teeth and has become increasingly popular with teens and adults. The state-of-the-art technology used to create the custom made Invisalign trays has proven to be successful with creating straight, beautiful smiles. Invisalign allows patients to address and correct their orthodontic issues while allowing them the freedom to remove the Invisalign trays from their mouth at any given moment. Dr. Jacqueline Fulop-Goodling is one of the top providers of Invisalign and is dedicated to providing patients with the highest quality treatment.
- Oral Care – While undergoing an orthodontic treatment, patients are most-likely going to be wearing some type of braces such as traditional metal braces, ceramic braces, accelerated braces or Invisalign trays. Patients will want to provide essential care for their teeth and gums. Invisalign trays make it the easiest option when caring for teeth during treatment. It allows patients the convenience of removing the trays to brush, floss and rinse with mouthwash. Patients who have traditional braces that consist of brackets and wires, need to pay special attention to their oral care during treatment. Particles can easily get stuck inside the brackets of the braces. If not removed, the particles can develop into plaque and cause damage to tooth enamel. Patients with traditional braces will be required to brush with light to moderate pressure and use mouthwash in order to remove small food particles from brackets.
- Results – Orthodontists provide a variety of methods to help create amazing, straight smiles that can cater to your lifestyle. Whether you choose Invisalign, clear braces, ceramic braces, lingual braces, accelerated braces or invisible braces, the results will be a healthier, straighter smile that provides each patient with new found self confidence. An orthodontist will discuss each patient’s expected results in order to paint a realistic picture of the outcome and provide the best treatment for each individual patients needs.
Orthodontic treatment by licensed and experienced orthodontists like Dr. Jacqueline Fulop-Goodling will properly align teeth, prevent other health related issues, lessen the risk of tooth decay between teeth, create a straight smile, healthier gums, balance facial features, and raise the confidence level in patients. Avoiding treatment may cause the orthodontic issues to become worse and may create or escalate long-term health issues. Contact your orthodontist today for an evaluation and begin your journey to a healthier, straighter smile.